

This past weekend we were blessed to celebrate another one of Daddy's birthdays. Around here, birthdays are always reserved for the whole family to get to do something out of the ordinary. Today was no exception! It all started with Mommy and the boys participating in their school's annual walk-a-thon to raise money for their playground! After a great, yet chilly walk, we headed home to get started preparing Daddy's birthday cake. We usually leave the preparation of Daddy's cake up to the Dairy Queen. However, this year Mommy and the kids thought they would attempt their first "Ace of Cakes" cake...complete with fondant frosting and cut-out appliques! We first baked the cake, let it cool, then stacked it up. I honestly don't think I have ever made a birthday cake in layers before. I usually take the short-cut route by making it in a 9 by 13 pan...what can I say, I'm a busy lady! Anyway...today we did it the "real" way. After it was stacked and had on a "crumb coat" (that's cake talk by the way:) we got started on the frosting. It was actually a ton of fun to add the color, roll it out, and cover the cake just like we see on TV. The kids were so impressed, they said I could sell it for at least $100.00....aren't they sweet!
After the cake was done, we all piled in the van to head out to dinner. We usually go out for Mommy and Daddy's birthday for a special treat! After our delicious supper was done, we headed home for cake. It was SO GOOD!!! Michael even thought it was better than my birthday cake, which came from a bakery and cost about 4 times as much!!!
So....it was another great birthday for Daddy...and Mommy's thinking about starting a bakery. Well, maybe not really, but it was a lot of fun to make that cake. The kids have already put in their orders for their birthday cakes. Ace of Cakes....WATCH OUT!!!
1 comment:
I was at the walk-a-thon too. I did not see you there:(
Beautiful cake!
Post a Comment