Okay, so a couple of weeks ago I became very convicted to really be filled with the Fruits of the Spirit. I mean, we were talking about these almost at every meal. I would read the Bible verses to the children that explained how if you are filled with the Fruits of the Spirit, then you will bear much fruit. Of course, I have learned as a mother that you can't expect your children to act one way while you act another. For example, I can't expect my children to remain patient and calm in the midst of chaos, when I would chose to fly off the handle at the littlest thing. So...like I said, I became convicted to not simply say that I'm going to be patient, self-controlled, kind, gentle....but actually be all of those things (well, at least try!). You know, I really should have guessed than when I make such a decision, Satan is going to tempt me beyond beliefs. He was probably thinking to himself "yeah right, like Jes is going to remain calm and self controlled when I throw this at her." So, just a few examples of how I was tested recently: Ava poured an entire pitcher of purple grape juice ALL OVER the kitchen. I walked upstairs to, literally, one of my worst nightmares. I did indeed remain calm, quietly cleaned it up, and reminded her why Mommy and Daddy would like her to ask for help when the pitcher if full...yikes! Then, moments later I went up to lay Tessa down for nap only to discover that she had colored ALL OVER her door with pen. Oh brother....really Lord, are you going to let this happen??? So, I gently laid her down for nap and said, "Tess, Mommy might be making noise since I will be cleaning your door, please remember that we only color on paper, okay?" Then, I decided at snack time to give Tess a glass, glass to dip her chocolate chip cookies in. Yep...can you guess what she did next?? She threw her glass on the ground when she was done, shattering it to smithereens.....good grief!! I don't think that I can even count, or mention, all of the tantrums that have taken place over the last week. But I can assure you this, I remained calm and collected, patient and loving, when discipline was handed out. This isn't to say that it was easy....it was not. At one point I looked at Michael and said "I am so incredibly exhausted. It's hard work to be patient and controlled when I feel like exploding all the time." It's obvious that it takes practice and perseverance to become the sort of Christian woman I want to be. It's not an over-night process, and I'm still learning that I have far to go. Of course I'll never be perfect, I am human, I will sin. But, I want others to see Christ through me, so I will keep trying!
There is one thing I can be sure of. No doubt there will be more grape juice, shattered glass, and tantrums....OH MY!!!
Have to add a pic...a few of my sweeties...mess free before G Kelm's b-day!



1 comment:
That's the stuff you want to share with your children when they're teenagers to prevent teen pregnancy :) It also reminds me why God gave children two parents. When Darren offers to do bedtime after a long day of kids trying my patience, I say 'thank you' and go fold laundry in peace! I wish you a shattered glass and grape juice spill-free day!
Post a Comment