Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, December 4, 2011

So what did you do last night???

Last night, Michael, myself and the three oldest children went to the high school in town. We had a very special evening planned, fancy duds and lots of food. But, let me clarify this...we were not going to be eating any of the food, and to be totally honest we all looked a bit goofy:) I don't know if any of you that have children have heard this phrase: "I'm starving to death, there's nothing to eat!!" Well, I can say that I hear that WAY more than I care to. I try to explain to the kids that they're not starving, just hungry! The usual response is, "yes I am!" So, Michael and I thought that we would all spend the evening volunteering for Kids Against Hunger at our local high school, and pack bags of food for children that are LITERALLY starving to death. I was so proud of all of them. They never complained about standing in one spot the entire time, or about being bored, or hungry, or thirsty...you know what I mean! They worked hard and did their very best. They felt very proud that they were able to help feed children who are going without food. I believe that they also have a much better understanding of what it actually means to be "starving to death." It's sad that there are people in this world that do, and those who have to watch their children cry for food and have no way to fill their empty bellies. As a mom, I cannot even being to fathom the pain of having to watch that. I praise God that we don't have those problems, and pray to God that he has compassion and holds tight those who do have to endure such hardships. I think that maybe this can become a new family tradition around here, because after all, God tells us to give and take care of those who can't take care of themselves. I hope that this has made a lasting impact on the children, I know it has on me!


No comments: